Tuesday, July 3, 2012

More Wellington Wanderings

Now that I am home I can upload some higher quality images of what we saw in Wellington over the weekend. And no, there aren't any more stylin' urinals...

I think we were pretty lucky with the weather. Only a few showers and not too windy. It could have been much worse in the middle of winter.


Wandering around we happened across this bike shop.



The biggest in town apparently. The very friendly staff kindly offered us a tea or coffee even though we were only tyre kicking.

Parked outside was this old girl. Practical as.



We saw this one ride past us, then a few hours later it was resting against a wall at a local market. I know a certain little girl who would love those tyres.


Jumping on a ferry across to Day's Bay we wandered into Eastbourne for a look around.


In town we saw these little fellas. My brother and I learnt to ride in the backyard on a Honda Cub, so they hold a special place and certainly took me back to when I was a boy.



There were some interesting houses in Eastbourne and this one particularly so.


We had a great weekend in Wellington, being able to do whatever we felt like, walk as far as needed, loiter as long as desired, all without a chorus of "how much further, my feet are sore" or "where are we going?" or "are we there yet" et cetera, et cetera......

Add to this the freindliness of Kiwis and the exchange rate and you have a recipe for a memorable stay.









9 comments:

  1. Glad to see you contributing to the kiwi econmy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help where we can Roger. Need to get on a bike next time I am there though.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun and I am glad the weather cooperated.

    Those bike tires sure are high vis pink. Good for safety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love Wellington. Its a fabulous city. And definitely exudes a sense of belonging! Miff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, i think thats it Miff. You just feel at home right away!

      Delete
  4. Wow honda 50's. What great times you can have on those babies towing your brother around the back yard in a toy car and crashing him into a tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he he.....bastard! I remember that! I also remeber you trying to whack me with a broom for some reason... and missing only to smash an indicator. ;) That bike on the right was the closest to Mum's bike, but neither had a key, just an ignition switch.

      Delete
  5. Welly is my home town. The highlight, apart from the great coffee, is Mount Victoria. Slap bang in the middle of town it has great rolling trails. An easy way to kill an hour on the MTB. I lived 3 minutes away by bike. Home from work jump on the bike and blast the trails for an hour. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice place to live and play. You Kiwis have an amazing country and trails to die for. We are 20 years behind you guys with trail advocacy. We are just waking up to our potential now while you guys are living yours. Lucky sods.....

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Spam filtering is in place and your comment will be posted shortly.