Friday, July 27, 2012

Moto Loving

Well...I purchased the bike on Friday the 13th of January. I decided that today would be the day to do that oil change which would give me a base line for my maintenance schedule....! D'oh! Where has this year gone?!?

The plan was to also fit the Goodridge braided brake lines that I bought waaay back in February while I was at it.

The oil change was something I have done heaps of times over the years. However, just not on a road bike for the last 7 years. I had to feel my way around the fairing fasteners, then look for the sump plug. All was well though. It was on the bottom of the sump, right where I suspected it might be!

The oil that dropped out was pretty black looking, which had me wondering how long it had been in there. In the past I always changed my oil every 2000km(1250mi) which might be a bit excessive but then I never had any engine trouble in the wear department. These modern lubricants are a bit slicker than the stuff I used to use so maybe I can stretch the service intervals a bit depending on how often I ride the bike. At the moment, averaging roughly just 6-8 rides a year I guess I should change it every 12 months to allow for moisture ingress here in the sub-tropics. What do you guys recommend?

The K&N filter was replaced with a genuine Yamaha unit. My, how the genuine parts have come down in price. I recall them being prohibitively expensive and aftermarket consumables were almost mandatory for the budget conscious biker.




That done it was time to move onto the front brake lines.

My brother had replaced the front brake lines on his 2000 model R1 earlier this year and raved about the increased stopping power given by the stainless braided lines. I was concerned with the amount of lever pressure required to stop my bike. I recall my last R1 had fantastic brakes and therefore suspected that the old rubber lines might be past their best at 10 years old. The other scenario was that I was used to riding 11kg(22lb) mountain bikes equipped with hydraulic disc brakes and just needed to harden the f#ck up.

Anyway, I decided that the bike was at fault and for just $73AU how could I go wrong? So I set about pulling the old lines off the bike and fitting the new lines. Now, the instructions for fitting the new lines were pretty vague, just mentioning superfluous crap like "make sure the line doesn't snag on anything", "don't over tighten the banjo bolts" etc,etc. Yeah, yeah. But nowhere was instruction of which end went where! Which end was the top and which was the bottom?? Both lines look identical with one end having a curved fitting and the other a straight fitting. I decided that the curved fitting must go at the master cylinder end with the straight fitting at the caliper. Any suggestions are welcomed before I bore along a road at 180km/h then throw out the anchor.....

Out with the old...



And in with the new.......






They are all bled up with a great feel at the lever.

Please feel free to point out any glaring errors here folks. It is my (dumb) ass on the line and while I can land a 737 in a howling crosswind with an engine on fire, I may not be super numba 1 mechanic in the area and google was no help today.

I am just going to bleed the rear brake with some new fluid tomorrow, then next week will be "game on". A multi day motorcycle ride with lots of photos and some dribble to fill the void between said photos.




Now where did I put my thermals.....?




2 comments:

  1. You're so good about frequent oil changes. Max went 5,000 miles between the last ones. Shhh don't tell.

    Nice job on switching the brake lines. I've been thinking of adding steel braided lines to Max too. Hubby thinks my brakes are to squishy and after riding the Bonneville I am inclined to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wasn't you changing the oil because I didn't see it all over the floor.

    PS Where my f*cken fifty bucks for the exhaust pipe of mine you stole.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Spam filtering is in place and your comment will be posted shortly.