Wednesday, February 9, 2011

St Elmo's Fire

Try googling that title and you will get pages of references to a Brat Pack flick that my wife likes.



No, dear reader, I am not talking about a Sheen/Estevez et al blockbuster, but the phenomena that used to amaze and frighten sailors of yesteryear.

Wiki's definition of St Elmos Fire describes the violet fingers that were arcing across my windscreen last friday night while at 39 000 feet. Of course it doesn't look like much when captured on basic video equipment, but I can assure you it is VERY impressive as it dances around just two feet from your face while doing 850 kilometres an hour.

Check it out for yourself and hang in there as it grows as the camera rolls on.




You can probably also guess why I am half deaf. ;)

Ciao.

4 comments:

  1. So who's flying the plane!!!!! Cool vid mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The autopilot does a great job with the boring bits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Now I'm glad I can't see through to the flight desk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT DID YOU DAY DAVE? ITS TOO NOISY!!

    Nice! like a plasma ball, except you are on the inside.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Spam filtering is in place and your comment will be posted shortly.