Monday, January 5, 2015

The Challenge Is ON !



Well, they say you should be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. It looks like that may have happened for me. 

I put in for leave from work for a sizeable chunk of time and now I have June and July off. What would you do with that much time I hear you ask? How about hop on a mountain bike and go for a ride? And keep riding....for three or four weeks!

Yep, it looks like I am IN for the Tour Divide 2015!

For those of you wondering what the Tour Divide Race is, there is plenty of information in the link above but a picture tells a thousand words....


For Australian readers that may not easily relate the distance, here is a local representation that is 316km SHORTER.


Yes, that is a loong way. Add the fact that the race route's average elevation is 5000-6000ft, with plenty of time above 10 000ft and you start to notice that this is a SERIOUS ride.

Not hard enough for you though? Lets just make it a bit challenging now. You have to do it by yourself. No support. None, nada, nil. 

You ride, you service your bike, you find food/water/accomodation. You navigate the (off road) route. You deal with weather, wildlife and......whatever comes along. No help, no outside support.

Am I excited? 
If excitement feels like a mammoth knot in your stomach, then I must be "excited". Yep, feel like throwing up, excited.

There could be a lesson here kids. Be careful what you wish for.......

Clearly, it almost goes without saying. Be prepared for some more Tour Divide stuff on here and here is a taste of what it is all about.







Cheers

12 comments:

  1. excellent! THAT is some fabulous terrain that you'll be touring, too! bravo! :)
    im looking forward to hearing more as you prepare...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I will be in touch for some dirt on the ride, very soon. Might have to skip the beer and make it a coffee/ride as I am of the booze completely now until after the TD. i only have about 156 days to go!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, NOT Mark! I though you were someone else but thanks for the comment!!

      Delete
  2. So when should we prepare for the funeral arrangements, june or july. You wont know which way your going, probably get eaten by a group of wild bears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are thousands of times more likely to take a dirt-nap riding your R1 than I am on my MTBs. If I get eaten, you will know where to find me 'cause we all know bears DO s#it in the woods.

      Delete
    2. Heh heh good luck big bro, but i;m betting your new dirt bike will bite the dust before the mighty R1.

      Delete
  3. Wow, an epic undertaking.

    We watched Ride the Divide and enjoyed it. Let's hope you don't encounter snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping for a warm year because last year was terrible. I think there is always a bit of snow and to be honest I would like to see some....

      Delete
    2. The first day of snow might be okay, then you'll be rambling in your head..... "ride in the snow they said, it'll be fun they said...." :-)

      Delete
    3. Lol, Brandy. It is like you are in my head! I have a healthy disrespect for snow that I am sure will be reinforced!

      Delete
    4. Yeah and thats like "Lets ride for 4000kms non stop they said, it would be fun they said".....

      Delete
    5. Thats what I am worried about. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Spam filtering is in place and your comment will be posted shortly.