Friday, January 9, 2015

Letter Of Intent



A Letter Of Intent is sort of an unofficial entry form for the Tour Divide Race. 

 Some wax lyrical on their intentions and some cut straight to the point. At the end of the day it is like screaming into an oncoming cyclone. Nobody can hear you and nobody really cares.....

But, in the spirit of the adventure, here is my L.O.I.



"Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight
and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days" - Glory Days, Bruce Springsteen



Someone once said, you have to make time to do these sort of things before life passes you by. My wife, family and work have graciously given me that time and 2015 will be the year I test myself. Will The Divide beat me? Will my own mind fail me?
Well, I am looking forward to finding out. Looking forward to seeing spectacular sights in a foreign land. Looking forward to meeting people. Looking forward to smelling like a hobo on a bike. Looking forward to dealing with the lows that will come with a ride of this magnitude. Looking forward to the change in myself, for better or worse.

My Intent is to see you in Banff on June 12, ride forward only, totally self-supported following the intent of "The Rules" and stand at Antellope Wells some 25 days later. I AM IN !

Dave H
Australia



Well, there is no backing out now! Gulp!!




Cheers

5 comments:

  1. Well said. I am sure there will be many highs and many lows, but you will be proud of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one!! You have to grab the bull by the horns and not look back !! Go for it ... most of the time you will be hurting but in a good way, and the rest of the time will be fantastic. Life is too short not to follow these crazy dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gaz. A racer I have never been, nor ever will but I have some pig-headed determination to apply to the race. 😁

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Spam filtering is in place and your comment will be posted shortly.