Saturday, December 1, 2012

Helmet Hunting



Number 2 child and I hit up some bike shops today, mainly because it was too hot to do anything else.

While in there we started trying on a few small helmets as I have been thinking it is nearly time to take the kids for a gentle ride around the block on the motorcycle. Clearly, we need something to protect their "scone" while doing so.

Now I know what to look for when buying a helmet for myself. Fit, ventilation and then style is the order I work in but how do you determine a good fit with a child? How can they know if a tight, snug fit is right or if it is too tight and going to hurt after an hour?

 
If anyone has any helmet buying advice I would be pleased to hear from you. While I am not planning on purchasing a top of the line lid for the kids, I do want to purchase a well fitted, safe helmet.
 
 
 But I am resigned to the fact that we will not agree on the syling.....
 
Cheers.
 

5 comments:

  1. Cute pictures!!

    I remember trying on helmets as a kid and my mom would do the helmet up under my chin then have me turn my head from side to side and up and down quite quickly to see if it was snug enough that it wouldn't move or the hemet would spin around my head because it was too loose. That is about all I remember her checking for fit.

    I don't think there is any way to judge whether it is going to be tight down the road an hour or so and hurt. I find that wearing them in the store feels different than the wind pushing it back on your head.

    A good excuse to wander the shops though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thats about all I could think to do as well. I guess I just get one that fits snugly and hope it doesn't hurt after a while. Not that I am planning on taking them far, but I bet my little bloke would love to be picked up from school on the bike.

      Delete
    2. Ahhh, yes. A GREAT excuse to wander the shops!

      Delete
  2. Your going to get a bollocking from Flygirl.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Spam filtering is in place and your comment will be posted shortly.