Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Older, But Wiser....?


Here we are at the end of another year already! This one has gone particularly fast and has had a lot packed into it, although I am not normally much of a participant in the "NYE event" that a lot of people seem to get caught up in.

At a bit of a loose end today, I thought a final mountain bike ride for the year might be the idea and in fact managed to squeeze two rides in! The first with a mate who is making a comeback after a BIG accident in Whistler and it was great to be out. Great to see him on the bike again as well.

The second ride was a solo effort to take in the view from Mt Cotton. The colours of the Australian bush are quite dull at the moment with it being so dry but there is the odd splash of colour where Eucalypts are bursting through their old bark to show their new skin.


This can be a solid ride as there is a bit of climbing to summit the hill, but I felt like I was breezing along as I recounted some of the things that I have been involved with in 2013.

Obviously I am very proud of my family. My kids seem to be making leaps and bounds in both their education and their physical endeavours.



This has not been without some pain, with at least one broken arm and a hellish looking black eye being suffered. But they are out there, trying. And they make me proud to be their Dad.


A very special thanks to my lovely wife, who is like the glue that holds us all together. She lets me play like with the kids and gives us plenty of leash-up to a point!



As for me, this year we built another amazing mountain bike trail, Ginger Gully, and saw the MTB movement gain further legitimacy with the founding of SEQTA and the winning of quite a bit of money in the form of grants for future trail builds.





I managed to slip away for a few days at a time to indulge in some bike packing trips when work permitted and learnt many lessons and saw some amazing sights.



Work has gone from strength to strength and I thank my lucky stars that I am in an industry that I enjoy.  It may not make any money but it makes it seem less like WORK, right?




Yes, it has been a good year all round and I look forward to 2014 being even better. I have some big plans afoot for my mtbing and if everything falls into place I will let you in on them at the appropriate time.(insert wink). A motorcycle trip around the South Island of New Zealand beckons but before I can get to that one a trip to the Snowy Mountains with the kids must be seen to. 

Yep, it is shaping up to be a great year ahead and I hope yours is too.



Cheers and thanks for reading this year. May the wind be always at your back and your bottle cage always be filled with a cold one. See you all in 2014.................












2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a bit of a roller coaster of a year in 2013. Looks like 2014 will be the year of the Holiday. Sounds good to me. Roll on 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was pretty well all good, even the not so good stuff. Funny how bad things don't seem so bad with a bit of time/perspective.
      Roll on the motorcycle holiday...only 17 years in the schemeing!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Spam filtering is in place and your comment will be posted shortly.